Belfast Telegraph

Friday 18 April 2014

Benitez will be staying out of Jones row

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez played down claims by Sunderland counterpart Steve Bruce that the club have been “disrespectful” in their attempts to sign Black Cats striker Kenwyne Jones.

Bruce said last week that the Reds had tried to unsettle the Trinidad and Tobago international, whom Benitez is believed to want to sign on loan to cover for a six-week lay-off to striker Fernando Torres.

Benitez yesterday insisted he had not been involved at all in any negotiations and was concentrating on football matters.

“I was not dealing with this,” said the Liverpool boss.

“(Managing director) Christian Purslow has been talking with (Sunderland chairman) Niall Quinn so they have to manage the situation because I was not doing anything. I prefer not to talk too much because we will create a debate so Christian and Niall will continue to talk if they need to talk. They were in contact but I don't know what the situation is now.” Bruce had said: “I find it hugely disrespectful, the antics of Liverpool and this constant badgering of Kenwyne Jones, when we as a club haven't heard anything.”

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre