Bournemouth's fringe stars failed to seize big chance, admits Mings
Bournemouth's Tyrone Mings has accepted he and his team-mates were "flat" throughout Saturday's FA Cup third-round defeat to Millwall and that none of those selected can expect to retain their place.
Cherries manager Eddie Howe made 11 changes to his team, presenting an opportunity for several fringe players.
Mings, 23, was prominent among those. The £8m defender was making only his second start of the season after he spent 2015-16 injured, and with Chelsea recalling Nathan Ake he needed to impress.
Mings was directly at fault for none of Millwall's goals - scored by Steve Morison, Shaun Cummings and Northern Ireland star Shane Ferguson - but said: "We should be able to put together a performance capable of - no disrespect - beating a League One team. That's based on the faith that the manager has in us and individual abilities.
"It's difficult (for players who aren't regular starters) but at the same time we are signed to a Premier League team, we train every day as a squad, we do different passing drills and matchday situations as a team.
"I just don't think it clicked as a team. We were very flat, we weren't patient enough in the final third. We didn't stretch them enough and we rushed things.
"The manager obviously wasn't happy because he gave us an opportunity to go out and play, and all of us didn't take it."
The hosts' performance was perhaps their finest since Neil Harris' appointment as manager in March 2015, and the 39-year-old revealed the blueprint for their victory had been provided by former Millwall team-mate Sean Dyche.
Bournemouth last month lost 3-2 at Dyche's Burnley, and Harris said: "We watched their game against Burnley, against Dyche's team, and how Burnley set up very similarly to us, and thought we had to attack like that.
"We scored three excellent goals for different reasons, and were probably unlucky not to have two or three more."