Belfast Telegraph

Burnley on verge of Keane signing

Burnley manager Sean Dyche has revealed that a permanent deal for defender Michael Keane has all but been completed.

The club announced on Thursday that an agreement had been reached with Manchester United to sign the 21-year-old defender, who has been on loan at Turf Moor this season, for an undisclosed fee.

Dyche then met press later in the day and added that all necessary paperwork for a three-and-a-half year deal has now been completed and sent for ratification.

Dyche said: "The papers are being registered now for Michael to become part of Burnley Football Club.

"Michael is a good young player and we're delighted that he has decided to join us."

The deal is reward for the positive impression Keane has made with the Barclays Premier League newcomers, having established himself in the side since November.

It is also timely with the Clarets having been hit by defensive injuries in recent weeks.

Kevin Long is facing a lengthy spell out and Mike Duff and Jason Shackell have also had time on the sidelines recently, while Keane's loan was due to expire after this weekend.

Keane joined Burnley on transfer deadline day in August after making two appearances for United at the start of the season.

He has previously had loan spells at Leicester, Derby and Blackburn.

He has made 11 appearances this season after having to wait for a regular run of games, but Dyche says a permanent deal was always in his thoughts.

Dyche said: "It is something we looked at originally, when we went for him on loan. We had already spoken to him and Manchester United about the prospect of it.

"Everyone was aligned with it, it was just the process of Michael being happy with the situation.

"Obviously he had been at Manchester United a long time, and he wanted to be sure himself, but it is fair to say he has enjoyed his time here, and he has certainly looked like he has with the way he has been performing lately.

"He is still very young and still maturing as a player, but he is doing a good job of it so far."

The key issue surrounding Burnley during the January transfer window regards highly-rated striker Danny Ings, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

The 22-year-old, who has scored five goals this term, has been linked with a move this month but Dyche has again insisted the player will not be leaving.

He said: "I said last week and the week before, and the week before that, and the month before that, and maybe the year before about Danny - the club have always made clear he is not for sale.

"It doesn't need me to say it - although I will say it - but the chairman said it two or three weeks ago. There is no reason to even consider that, and Danny came out and said that last week as well.

"He is in a good place, young man earning his spurs, still learning, still developing at the arguably the highest level of football."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph