Carlos Tevez trains alone on Manchester City return
Who’s calling: Carlos Tevez leaves Manchester City’s training complex yesterday afternoon after being absent during the morningManchester City striker Carlos Tevez was conspicuous by his absence at the club's training ground yesterday morning, despite being told that he would be allowed to train with the rest of the first-team if he met a number of conditions.
The Argentina international was due to attend the Carrington complex after serving a two-week suspension for allegedly refusing to play in the Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich.
Manager Roberto Mancini cycled into work just after 10am in front of a dozen or so assembled camera crews and photographers.
That was just a matter of hours after he’d held late-night talks with Tevez at his Cheshire home.
It is understood that Mancini assured Tevez that he would be allowed to return to training with the first-team squad provided he issue a public apology to both him and City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.
Mancini is also believed to have told the Argentinian that the disciplinary action against him would not be dropped and that’s when the reconciliation failed.
When the rest of the first-team squad reported in plenty of time for their 11am training session there was no sign of Tevez at that time, but he turned up later and it is understood that he was always scheduled to have an early-afternoon fitness session at Carrington and was not required to attend in the morning.
Tevez faces the prospect of a heavy punishment after the club found he had a case to answer over his conduct in Munich.
Mancini claimed after the defeat in the Allianz Arena that the player had refused to go on as a substitute when requested.
Tevez's trusted advisor Kia Joorabchian said the matter boiled down to a simple misunderstanding in the heat of the moment and claimed the forward had been mistranslated in an interview he gave after the game, when he is alleged to have declared that his “head wasn't right to play.”
Tevez was suspended for a fortnight the day after the game, allowing City to launch an internal investigation, the findings of which led to a statement being released which made clear the matter will not end with the two-week ban that has now been completed.
“The club has now reached a stage in its investigation where it has concluded that there is a case for Carlos Tevez to answer of alleged breaches of contract,” said the statement released by City.
“Accordingly, the club has informed him that he will face disciplinary proceedings and the hearing will be convened shortly.”
Mancini was furious after the Bayern game, declaring, as far as he was concerned, Tevez was “finished” at City.
It now appears the Blues, at the very least, partially agree with Mancini's version of events on September 27, although they are yet to state publicly whether their issue with Tevez concerns his failure to warm up, or to play. Yet, strict regulations regarding footballing disciplinary matters being what they are, the matter cannot be resolved speedily.
If City impose a punishment, Tevez will still have recourse to two appeal procedures, first to the City board and then the Premier League.