Cash to spend for Ancelotti
Published 29/07/2010 | 15:12
Chelsea have confirmed that boss Carlo Ancelotti will be handed more transfer funds if the Italian coach asks for them.
Ancelotti has so far made just one major summer signing with the acquisition of Yossi Benayoun from Liverpool for £5 million but chief executive Ron Gourlay insists cash is available for further additions.
"If Carlo wants to bring a player or two into the squad then we will look at that," Gourlay told Sky Sports News.
"It has to be the right player to fit into the squad and obviously at the right price.
"If these things all come together then fine, we'll strengthen the squad. But only if Carlo feels it's necessary."
Meanwhile, Gourlay has made it clear that striker Didier Drogba, back at the club's training ground today after groin surgery, is not for sale.
The Ivory Coast forward had been linked with a move to Manchester City by the player's agent but Gourlay said: "Didier will be a Chelsea player next year. Didier is under contract.
"The thing about this time of year is we always get (this). For our players to be in the news - it's normal. But Didier Drogba will be a Chelsea player next year."
Deco's future also continues to be the subject of continued speculation with Fluminese rumoured to be ready to land the Portugal midfielder.
But the playmaker was undergoing double training sessions at Cobham on Wednesday. It is understood he wants to return to his native Brazil to be with his ill son.