Chelsea expect Torres to go on goal spree
Published 21/10/2011 | 01:37
Branislav Ivanovic has insisted Chelsea's players never doubted Fernando Torres would come good after the £50m man took the biggest step yet towards ending his nightmare start to life at Stamford Bridge.
Torres netted his first double for the Blues since his record-breaking January move from Liverpool in Wednesday night's Champions League thrashing of Genk, taking his tally to four goals from his last four club appearances.
His previous two strikes this season against Manchester United and Swansea had been marred, respectively, by one of the worst misses in Barclays Premier League history and the Spaniard's first red card in English football.
And although he might easily have had a hat-trick against an injury-ravaged opposition, last night's 5-0 win was easily Torres' most trouble-free outing in a Chelsea jersey.
Defender Ivanovic, who joined his fellow 27-year-old on the scoresheet with his first goal of the season yesterday, said: “I always said there is no question about Fernando Torres because he is really great.
“He is working hard for the team and everyone is really happy when the ball comes to him.
“As a team, we expect more goals from him this season.”
Torres' goals came after he was touched by team-mate David Luiz before kick-off in a gesture that looked very much like a religious blessing or an attempt at hypnotism.
It was, apparently, something aimed at bringing luck to the team rather than Torres personally, and may be used again in Sunday's game at QPR.
Not on Torres though, with the striker serving the final instalment of his domestic three-match suspension.
The trip to Loftus Road will almost certainly witness recalls for John Terry, Didier Drogba and Juan Mata, all of whom were rested for the Champions League on Wednesday night.