Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Chelsea forward Pedro: Manchester United snub had nothing to do with Van Gaal

Published 03/09/2015

Pedro signed a four-year contract with Chelsea last month
Pedro signed a four-year contract with Chelsea last month

Pedro insists his decision to turn down Manchester United and sign for Chelsea last month had nothing to do with not wanting to work under Louis van Gaal.

The Spanish forward has denied reports that suggested he did not want to play for Van Gaal because of the Manchester United manager's difficult relationship with former Barca goalkeeper Victor Valdes and Spain international David de Gea.

Valdes joined United in January but has barely featured for the first team while De Gea has not played for the Red Devils since July 29 after being heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid.

"It's true that I don't like that treatment for my colleagues, especially for Victor, who has been a reference as a team-mate and as a professional," Pedro said to Spanish sports newspaper Marca. "I don't believe it's fair but it didn't influence my decision.

"I just saw that Manchester didn't take that move forward, that they were taking too long. Chelsea were more decisive."

Pedro did speak at length with former Barca team-mate Valdes before deciding to join Chelsea last month.

"Yes, a lot," he said. "He told me that United was very good and there was a great fan following, that his only problem was the situation with the coach."

When asked if Valdes recommended he not sign for United because of Van Gaal, Pedro said: "Absolutely not.

"He spoke very well of the club. It's a great club but I believe I have made the right choice to join Chelsea, I'm convinced.

"I had an important chat with (Chelsea coach Jose) Mourinho and he said many things that I liked to hear.

"That combined with the possibility to live in London was what made me decide."

Pedro moved to Chelsea on a £21.1million transfer from Barca and signed a contract with the Blues outfit until June 2019.

"It was tough to leave Barca," he said. "It was a strange feeling as I had been many years at the club.

"At the start of pre-season I told the coach (Luis Enrique) that I had decided to leave. He understood and supported me.

"At Barca it's always difficult to play and I needed continuity.

"I believe I have made the right choice to move to Chelsea, I'm convinced. I have adapted very well. Since my arrival I have felt comfortable working with Mourinho. "

Pedro, 28, has started in two Premier League games and scored on his debut on August 22 in a 3-2 victory over West Brom.

"I believe that this is a very good league for me because there are spaces, a lot of counter-attacks," he said. "I hope I can enjoy this marvellous league."

The Tenerife-born player is currently in Madrid training with Spain's squad ahead of Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph