10 things you never knew about Eden Hazard
Eden Hazard took the PFA Player of the Year award last night after playing a significant part in helping Chelsea to the brink of the Premier League title.
1. He has three younger brothers, including Thorgan Hazard, who joined Chelsea shortly after Eden before leaving for Borussia Monchengladbach.
2. He announced his transfer to Chelsea via Twitter after a lengthy spell of speculation linking him to various teams around Europe.
3. He enjoys dancing and got up on stage for an impromptu display during a performance from Christina Milian at a function for Didier Drogba's foundation, the footage of which has since emerged on YouTube.
4. His mother, Carine Hazard, was a professional footballer in the Belgian Women's First Division and only stopped when she fell pregnant with Eden.
5. He married his childhood sweetheart Natacha, whom he first met at the age of 14, in 2012, two years after the birth of their first child, Yannis. The pair have since had a second child, Leo.
6. He is a big NBA fan, and follows the New York Knicks although he admits he has never been to see a game in America, but cites Carmelo Anthony as his favourite player. He is also a talented ping-pong player.
7. His brilliance on the pitch is matched by generosity off it. He once reduced a 79-year-old Belgium fan to tears after sending her a signed shirt and video message after hearing of her passion for football.
8. He was once shown a red card and received a three-match ban after appearing to kick out at a ball boy at Swansea as Chelsea lost in their 2013 Capital One Cup semi-final.
9. He admits that receiving praise from childhood hero Zinedine Zidane for the first time was "special" and left him shaking.
10. He grew up in Braine-le-Comte, Belgium. The family have said they lived "no more than three metres" from a football training ground, where Eden spent hours honing his now world-class skills.
Belfast Telegraph Digital