Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 20 August 2014

City finalise Navas transfer

Spain international Jesus Navas is heading to Manchester City

Manchester City have completed the signing of Spain winger Jesus Navas from Sevilla.

The 27-year-old is currently on international duty but City have confirmed the deal has been completed following a successful medical in New York. Sevilla said last week that they had agreed a deal with City for the World Cup winner.

Press Association Sport understands Navas has signed for an initial fee of £14.9million. He will link up with City after the Confederations Cup in Brazil and a short holiday.

Navas told the club's website, www.mcfc.co.uk: "Manchester City is an exciting project and this is the right moment for me to take this step. I'm very happy with the opportunity and the decision.

"The Premier League is a competition where the football is very fast and will suit the way I play. I'm really looking forward to it. City have been successful in recent years and are continuing to make a great team and I'm honoured to now be part of it.

"I'm going to a great club in England and I want to continue developing my game there. The club has put a lot of faith in me and I want to repay them out on the pitch."

Navas' arrival takes City's summer spending to close to £45million following the capture of Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk last week. The news is likely to be followed by confirmation that Manuel Pellegrini is to take over as manager.

The 59-year-old Chilean's appointment has been expected since he left Malaga last week and, despite the perceived delay, is still thought to be a formality.

Navas will join fellow Spain international David Silva at the Etihad Stadium and bolster the club's array of attacking talent.

He has spent his entire career to date with Sevilla and has twice won the UEFA Cup. He also has Champions League experience having played in the competition in 2009.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre