Belfast Telegraph

City sweat on Silva fitness

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini is still sweating on the fitness of David Silva ahead of Monday's Barclays Premier League home clash with West Brom and has also revealed Jesus Navas has been struggling with an injury.

Both playmaker Silva and winger Navas were absent from the City squad for Wednesday's 2-2 draw with Sunderland at the Etihad Stadium and Pellegrini expressed his hope after the game that the former's ankle problem would not prevent him from featuring against the Baggies.

At his press conference on Friday to preview the Albion contest, Pellegrini reported there had been no change on that front, before confirming Navas had been out due to an ankle complaint of his own.

The Chilean manager, who earlier this week ruled out midfielder Yaya Toure for up to a fortnight due to his leg injury, said: "We continue with the same situation with Yaya Toure, David Silva and Jesus Navas.

"The three of them are injured for the moment.

"Yaya is improving but it is a muscle injury, so it is difficult for him (to return) so soon."

Defender Matija Nastasic, who has not played since February because of a knee injury, remains unavailable.

The draw with Sunderland dealt another blow to City's title challenge, just a few days after their 3-2 defeat to Liverpool.

They are third in the table with five more games to play, four points behind second-placed Chelsea and six behind leaders Liverpool, both of whom have four more matches.

Reports have suggested City's owners are going to stick with Pellegrini, though.

And asked about that on Friday, the 60-year-old - who has guided City to the Capital One Cup and the knockout stages of the Champions League this season, his first in charge - said: "It is not a problem in this moment.

"I never heard anything in terms of a complaint.

"All of us want to win as much as we can but I haven't had any talks about that and I am not thinking about that."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph