Belfast Telegraph

Clarets' Armstrong bid rejected

Burnley have had an offer turned down by Dundee United for midfielder Stuart Armstrong.

Manager Sean Dyche does not now expect to pursue a deal for the 22-year-old, with Celtic also reported to have had a bid turned down.

Dyche is still hoping to add to his squad before Monday night's deadline and has several irons in the fire.

He said: "Different offers have been in for players. One's been rejected today.

"He was more of a development style player in our world - a good young player we think who could learn with us. That won't happen now, by the looks of things.

"We've had offers in for more recognised players that haven't got over the line at the moment, but we'll see where that takes us."

Burnley's only deal so far this month has been the signing on a permanent basis of defender Michael Keane, who had been on loan at Turf Moor from Manchester United.

"If you're a club that can constantly throw money at things, it usually gets to happen," said Dyche of the transfer market.

"There is a limit to certain players and how much we can pay for them. We're trying to be realistic within that. We're not going for players who are way out of our league and hoping for the best.

"I've been through it a few times now. It's been quite quiet really, certainly in the middle market. Sometimes it takes one to knock another situation on so we'll see how it develops over the next few days.

"There's no guarantees to it. We've been confident before. We were confident during the summer on certain things, even to the point of being told that it was definitely going to happen and then things change."

Dyche's side will play their first game for two weeks when they visit Sunderland on Saturday.

The break has meant they have had to wait to try to make amends after letting two-goal leads slip in successive defeats by Tottenham and Crystal Palace.

Dyche insisted the disappointment is firmly behind them but admitted two weeks off was not something they particularly welcomed.

"It's parked, it's gone, we move forwards," he said of the two losses.

"We like to play, we like the idea of the games spinning around. We had it last year and you get used to that.

"It's just finding that balance between rest, recuperation but also the work that needs to be done to make sure the players are topped up.

"We know how good they are physically. It'll probably be a surprise to people the amount of rest we do give them."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph