Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Delph set to miss two games

Published 07/08/2015

Fabian Delph's Manchester City debut is on hold
Fabian Delph's Manchester City debut is on hold

Fabian Delph is set to miss Manchester City's first two games of the season, manager Manuel Pellegrini has revealed.

The £8million summer signing was carried off with a hamstring injury just 18 minutes into his first appearance for the club, a pre-season friendly against Real Madrid, just over a fortnight ago.

The England midfielder has now been ruled out of Monday's Barclays Premier League opener at West Brom and the following week's clash with Chelsea. A competitive debut against Everton on August 23 might also be unlikely.

Pellegrini said: "I think he needs 15 days more. That will be a month from the injury he got in pre-season.

"He played just 17 minutes but you saw in those 17 minutes that he will be an important player for this club."

Delph joined City from Aston Villa after a remarkable change of heart last month, just days after publicly rejecting a switch to the Etihad Stadium.

His City career is beginning just as that of striker Edin Dzeko appears to be coming to an end.

The Bosnia international, bought for £27million four years ago, is in the process of joining Roma and has been pictured in the Italian capital receiving the acclaim of fans.

Pellegrini said: "Edin made a big contribution to this club. He won two titles here and was a very good player.

"But I think teams need every year to change some players and he has been here more than four years. That was enough for him, he needs a change.

"I appreciate what Edin did for the team and also for me because we won two trophies together.

"He will be a very good player for Roma and he will have a successful season. I send him the best wishes."

Dzeko scored 72 goals in 187 appearances for City.

City playmaker David Silva tweeted: "Good luck to one of the best strikers that I played with! It has been a pleasure amigo @EdDzeko !!"

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph