Belfast Telegraph

Dyer plays down 'bust-up' reports

Swansea winger Nathan Dyer says a report of a training ground bust-up at the Barclays Premier League club has "blown everything out of proportion."

Swansea confirmed "a couple of incidents between certain players" took place during training last week ahead of their Liberty Stadium clash against Chelsea.

However, Dyer was quick to play down events.

"The mood in the camp is very good," he told Swansea's official website.

"I know there has been a report in the press today about a training ground bust-up, but I think all the effort and commitment on display against Chelsea proved that we are all working for each other - and not against each other, as is being suggested.

"The report has blown everything out of proportion and it is not what it seems. We are a good bunch and we work hard for each other.

"We are all fully focused on the last four games and we owe the fans a win or two before the end of the season."

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins added: "I think the commitment shown by the team when we had to play for so long with 10 men against Chelsea speaks volumes. I think that says enough.

"It tells you that everybody connected with Swansea City - staff, directors, players and supporters - is 100 per cent committed to making sure that we give every ounce of effort to ensure we stay in the Premier League."

Swansea say the training ground incidents were "quickly dealt with and everyone moved on".

A club spokesman added: "These things often happen on training grounds up and down the country so, despite the media reports, Swans fans shouldn't be concerned.

"The squad had just returned to training on the back of a disappointing defeat at Hull, and their frustration at not getting the result they wanted boiled over during a full 11 v 11 practice match between the group."

Swansea are currently three points above the relegation zone, having won just two of their 10 league games since head coach Garry Monk took charge following manager Michael Laudrup's exit in early February.

They travel to Newcastle on Saturday, then host Aston Villa and Southampton before concluding their league programme at Sunderland on May 11.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph