Belfast Telegraph

Dyer raring to go against Newcastle

Swansea winger Nathan Dyer is "raring to go" ahead of Friday's Barclays Premier League clash with Newcastle after being given a short break by manager Brendan Rodgers.

Dyer, 24, returned from a three-week suspension against Tottenham last week having received a red card in the win at Wigan at the start of March.

As a result of his suspension manager Rodgers chose to allow the player a short break, and Dyer said: "It has been tough watching the games and not being involved but we have been doing well, we had two wins out of those three games and I have been proud of the boys and how they've been playing and it has been really good."

He added: "It was nice to get a couple of days off, time to rest myself and and I am raring to go and ready to give 110% if selected.

"It wasn't nice for me as no one thought it was a straight red, and I then had to train for three weeks without playing. So the manager said to have a couple of days off, rest yourself and come back refreshed for the rest of the season.

"In football after a couple of days off it takes a couple more days to regain your fitness but it has recharged my batteries and I am going to give it my all."

Swansea will look to bounce back after consecutive defeats against Everton and Tottenham when they face the Magpies.

The last time Swansea lost two league games back to back they responded with three straight wins but Dyer expects European hopefuls Newcastle, who have won their last three, to provide a stern test.

"Alan Pardew has done a really good job there, they have always had that type of strong squad," he said. "It was a shock when they went down to the Championship but they came straight back up as everyone thought they would.

"Now they are challenging for Europe so it is a tough game but we are set and ready to go, we are disappointed after the defeat to Spurs the other day but we are looking forward to it and hopefully we can get the three points back."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph