Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Everton job would be an ideal fit for ex-Red Rafael Benitez

By Ian Herbert

Published 13/05/2016

You’re out: Everton boss Roberto Martinez was sacked after a poor run of games
You’re out: Everton boss Roberto Martinez was sacked after a poor run of games

Rafael Benitez would consider the prospect of succeeding Roberto Martinez as Everton manager if approached, though he was on Thursday night weighing up whether to led Newcastle United's attempts to return to the Premier League.

The Goodison job would be an ideal fit for the Spaniard, whose wife and daughters are still based on Merseyside, though it is understood he is unconvinced that the club's chairman Bill Kenwright and new major shareholder Farha Moshiri would want a former Liverpool manager to succeed 42-year-old Martinez, who was sacked after a run of one win in ten.

Frank de Boer, whose departure from Ajax was announced on Thursday after his agent said at the weekend he would "love to join a club like Everton" is the current front-runner.

Benitez feels that Everton's supporters may not set their faces against his appointment and considers the Everton job to be a fine opportunity for whoever takes it, with a very strong group of players in Ross Barkley, Romelu Lukaku and James McCarthy who are ready-made contenders for European football.

But he knows there is sensitivity attached, owing to the rivalry which existed between him and David Moyes when the two were Merseyside managers between 2004 and 2010.

It is the Newcastle post which Benitez is now giving deep consideration to. He is thought to be 50:50 about whether to heed the pleas of the relegated club's fans and continue at the helm. His predicament demonstrates the profound effect on him that the fans on Tyneside have had.

Benitez was initially minded to exercise a break clause and leave St James Park if the club did not stay up: a view he still held a month ago.

Ever since his appointment, Newcastle have been urging Benitez to stay regardless of the outcome of the relegation fight. But he will need assurances that the club are willing to invest in players with the skills to mount a Championship promotion campaign, if he is to stay.

Benitez is under no illusions about the size of the task ahead, with a reworking of the squad necessary. The relative proximity of Newcastle of Benitez's family, who he has been seeing once a week compared with their intermittent spells together during his three years spent managing Napoli and Real Madrid, is a major consideration. Despite Newcastle's relegation, Benitez's reputation has been enhanced by his two months on Tyneside where, after turning the side around, he has seen the side go undefeated in the last five games. His success as a Champions League-winning manager has stemmed from a shrewd ability to get the best from players.

Everton supporters' mounting frustration with Martinez stems from the sense that their fine group of players is not being put to optimum use.

Supporters will remember him describing Everton as "a small club" after the sides had played out a 0-0 draw in February 2007.

Benitez has since said that the description related to Everton's lack of ambition in that specific game. "I wanted to say they were a small team in the way that they were playing - deep, defensively and doing nothing in attack. That was my idea. When you play against a top side you know they will have more possession and they will be in more control and you have to find one or two counter-attacks," he said in 2011.

Mark Hughes, Ronald Koeman, Manuel Pellegrini, Moyes, as well as de Boer, all feature ahead of Benitez in the odds for the vacant Everton position.

Fans had been planning to protest about Martinez at the club's scheduled Player of the Year dinner in Liverpool last night. Their calls for Martinez's dismissal have now been heard, though the event, at St George's Hall, was cancelled.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph