Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Farhad Moshiri makes promise to Everton fans

Published 13/03/2016

Everton's new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri says he has bought into a 'family' at Goodison Park.
Everton's new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri says he has bought into a 'family' at Goodison Park.

Everton's new majority investor Farhad Moshiri has promised to give the club "whatever I have."

The Iranian billionaire, whose 49.9 per cent share purchase at a reported cost of £85million was ratified by the Premier League this week, saw Everton reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup on Saturday with a 2-0 victory over Chelsea at Goodison Park.

Speaking after the game, Moshiri told evertontv that he hoped the Toffees' trip to Wembley next month would energise the Merseyside club.

"I felt it today. It is a great club," said Moshiri. "We just enjoy the day [Wembley] and let's hope we can energise the club.

"You can never take over a club, you become part of a club and that's what I'm hoping - to become part of a club.

"For me I bought into a new family and that's what is special for me.

"I give them whatever I have."

Moshiri, whose personal wealth is estimated at £1.3billion according to American business magazine Forbes, stood next to Everton chairman Bill Kenwright as he spoke of his excitement at becoming involved at Goodison Park.

Kenwright said last week he had got to know Moshiri well over the last year-and-a-half and that his "football knowledge, financial wherewithal and true blue spirit" convinced him the 60-year-old was the right man to take Everton forward.

"I met Farhad 18 months ago and it's been a period where there have been quite a lot of people talking about taking over Premier League clubs," said Kenwright.

"And I've thought since November 2014 'Come to me, come back to me' - and he did."

Everton are now within two wins of landing the club's first trophy since winning the FA Cup in 1995.

But there has been some discontent at Goodison Park this season, with Everton currently 12th in the Premier League and a feeling that Roberto Martinez's talented squad have considerably under-achieved.

But Kenwright provided a robust defence of the Spanish manager he appointed to succeed David Moyes in June 2013.

"I thought they were all great," Kenwright said of the players' performance against Chelsea.

"But what I also thought was 'what a manager'. You can't hide the fact that there's been all kinds of criticism this week, but he [Martinez] has just stood firm and beaten Chelsea with some to spare.

"It was magnificent. It was everything I promised Farhad."

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph