Belfast Telegraph

Friday 1 August 2014

Fiorentina deny Chamakh bid

Fiorentina have distanced themselves from a reported bid for Arsenal's Marouane Chamakh

Fiorentina have denied making an offer for Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was this week quoted as saying Fiorentina had made a bid for the 28-year-old, but Viola sporting director Daniele Prade dismissed that claim and cited the player's wages as one reason they would not be pursuing a deal.

Prade told SportItalia: "Have we made an offer for Chamakh? We have not made one because he earns three million euros (per season)."

Prade did confirm, however, that Chamakh's Morocco striker partner Mounir El Hamdaoui would soon join the Florence outfit from Ajax.

"We hope to complete El Hamdaoui's transfer," Prade said. "He is a striker that our coach (Vincenzo Montella) likes a lot."

Morocco international Chamakh joined Arsenal on a Bosman free transfer from Bordeaux in 2010 but has failed to hold down a regular place at the Emirates Stadium.

Prade also announced the club would only consider selling leading striker Stevan Jovetic this summer if they receive an offer above 30 million euros.

Jovetic has been strongly linked with a move with reports in Italy claiming that Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Juventus are all in the race to acquire the Montenegro international. Fiorentina are, however, reluctant to sell the 22-year-old, who is under contract with the Tuscan outfit until June 2016.

"Since the start of the season we have said that we are not selling Jovetic," Prade said. "There is, however, an agreement with the player that (should we get an offer) above a certain figure, we will sit down and evaluate the offer. So far we have not received an offer for the player. He is a top player and we will only consider offers above 30million euros."

Jovetic, who joined Fiorentina from Partizan in 2008, scored 14 goals in 27 league appearances for the Viola last season.

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre