Belfast Telegraph

Gomis back in training

Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis has returned to training after collapsing at Tottenham on March 4.

Gomis was kept in a London hospital overnight for observation after leaving the White Hart Lane pitch on a stretcher and wearing an oxygen mask after several minutes of treatment.

The 12-times capped France international's collapse sparked memories of Fabrice Muamba's cardiac arrest at White Hart Lane while the midfielder was playing for Bolton in an FA Cup tie in March 2012, but it later emerged that Gomis suffers from a vasovagal condition.

The condition causes low blood pressure and Gomis had previously fainted on a number of occasions while playing in French football, something Swansea were aware of when they signed the 29-year-old from Lyon last summer.

Swansea's players were given an extended six-day break following their 3-2 defeat at Tottenham and Gomis joined his team-mates on their return to training after making a short visit to France.

"Bafe is back in Swansea and trained today," a club spokesman told Press Association Sport on Wednesday.

Gomis took to social media within hours of collapsing to alleviate concern about his well-being.

"I Wanted to reassure you concerning my Health, it actually looks much more scary than physically dangerous and I am feeling well now,'' Gomis posted via his Twitter account.

"I have been under a great deal of stress and fatigue due to my father health that requires me to go back and forth to France.

"I was disappointed that I couldn't help my team tonight but now everything is back In order.

"I also want to thank everyone for their support and get Well messages."

Gomis is expected to be given the all-clear for Swansea's Barclays Premier League home game with Liverpool on Monday evening.

Meanwhile, Jordi Amat has become the second Spaniard to sign a contract extension with the Swans in as many days.

Amat has followed the example of his countryman Angel Rangel by committing to a one-year extension which will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until 2018.

"I'm so happy because it's important to know the club has confidence and faith in me," Amat told the official club website.

"It was a big decision to move my family here. I was moving to a new country and a new league, but it has worked out really well.

"I've played games in the Premier League, the cups and the Europa League, so it has been an amazing experience for me here already.

"But this is hopefully just the start."

Amat joined Swansea from Primera Division club Espanyol for £2.5million in the summer of 2013 and made 30 appearances in his first season in south Wales, mostly in his preferred position as a central defender but also as a holding midfielder.

The 22-year-old started the current campaign alongside skipper Ashley Williams at the heart of the Swansea defence but has struggled to win his place back since suffering knee ligament damage in September.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph