Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Grant keen to keep hold of Parker

Scott Parker

Avram Grant is adamant Scott Parker will remain at West Ham for the rest of the season and has set his sights on signing up to three new players in the January transfer window.

The midfielder's tireless performances caught the eye of Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, who had a £7million bid for the 30-year-old rejected this summer. With the January transfer window drawing closer, suggestions that Redknapp is ready to re-ignite his interest in Parker have gathered momentum

"I am confident Scott will stay," said Grant. "He is a good player for us. West Ham is a good club for him too."

He added: "He has developed this season. Before everyone was saying 'it's not good that he's at West Ham', but this season has been his best so far so it's good for him to stay and he is good for the club."

Grant has begun negotiations with owners David Gold and David Sullivan about potential transfer targets as he looks to solve the problems that have plagued his team at both ends of the pitch.

Tottenham's Robbie Keane, Aston Villa striker John Carew and Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton have all being linked with the club.

Grant would not be drawn on specific targets but admitted that he is keen to strengthen his squad.

"It's not a secret that we need to be stronger," the former Chelsea boss said.

"In one area we don't have any players and in other areas we have one.

"We have had a lot of injuries this season so we need a few areas to be stronger. We will do it in January, not massively - maybe two or three players."

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre