Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Hill: I am not guaranteed to start

Clint Hill is prepared to fight for his place at QPR

QPR's Clint Hill knows he has to prove his worth once again despite being the club's reigning player of the year.

The 33-year-old joined the west Londoners from Crystal Palace in 2010 and helped them to the npower Championship crown in his first season. Last year he was deemed surplus to requirements and farmed out on loan to Nottingham Forest, but returned to establish himself in the starting line-up as QPR staved off relegation.

"You're always looking and thinking 'oh right, he has come into replace me'," he told Press Association Sport. "I am one of these people that thinks it is a clean slate. Last season has gone now and I've got to prove myself again."

Hill was awarded the club's player of the year by both fans and team-mates for those performances, but knows he will not be able to just walk into the Hoops' defence this season, especially given the new additions being made.

"I'll come in, work hard from the start, give 100% and hopefully that will be enough," he said.

"Last year was a bit up and down in terms of me going away on loan and not really knowing where I was going to end up.

"But it finished on a high and I am just delighted I managed to secure another year at QPR and in the Premier League as well."

Survival has been followed by a busy summer, started with the announcement of plans for a new state-of-the-art training complex.

Stadium plans are expected to be unveiled soon, while no fewer than six players have arrived at Loftus Road since the end of the 2011-12 campaign.