Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 20 December 2014

Howard expects smooth transition

Tim Howard, right, believes David Moyes, left, has left a solid platform at Everton
Tim Howard, right, believes David Moyes, left, has left a solid platform at Everton

Tim Howard insists "the table is set" for the next Everton manager to continue the good work done by David Moyes.

The Toffees will have a new man in charge for the first time in 11 years next season after Moyes accepted the opportunity to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Moyes is widely regarded to have done an excellent job at Goodison Park despite failing to win a trophy, and goalkeeper Howard sees no reason it cannot be a smooth transition.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is the favourite to take over, with Brighton manager Gus Poyet and Celtic's Neil Lennon also in the frame. Howard told the Liverpool Post: "We are a really strong group of quality players and the foundations are set."

He added: "The table is set for the next guy and I have no doubt, if he is a strong character, a guy who can lead us well, we will have no problems.

"Manchester United and Everton are in the same boat with having to replace the manager in terms of expectation and all the rest.

"It's just very rare to replace one long-serving manager with another long-serving one so we will need to fill the vacancy with a very strong character. And I have no doubt that will happen."

Former Manchester United man Howard revealed there was little ceremony when Moyes, who will take charge of his final Everton game at Chelsea on Sunday, told his players last week that he would be leaving.

"When he told us, it was quick and simple," said the goalkeeper. "He does not do anything dramatic, just straight to the point, and then it's 'let's go training'.

"We already knew by that time so we were just happy for him really. What an opportunity. I have no doubt he will make the most of it and we are just trying to focus on the last games and then see what our own future holds."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre