Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Jagielka committed to Everton

Phil Jagielka says he will definitely be at Everton next season

Phil Jagielka remains committed to Everton despite the departure of manager David Moyes.

Moyes' 11-year reign at Goodison Park came to an end earlier this month when he was chosen to replace Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. There have been worries that a number of Everton players will follow Moyes out of the club, but Jagielka insists he will not be one of them.

When asked if he still saw his future at Everton, the England defender replied: "Yes, definitely. I was made captain for next season when David Moyes was in charge. We will have to wait and see what happens with the new manager, but hopefully he will keep me in that role and it is something that I am looking forward to doing."

Everton are yet to appoint Moyes' successor, although Roberto Martinez has been strongly linked with the position.

Jagielka joined up with the England squad on Sunday night ahead of the Three Lions' friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil this week.

The 30-year-old insists he will be able to concentrate fully on his England duties despite the uncertainty surrounding his club.

"I will be able to put it to the back of the mind, definitely," Jagielka told a press conference at St George's Park.

"We all knew the situation. It wasn't sprung upon us because we had a couple of games to deal with it towards the end of the season when we knew the manager was leaving.

"I thought as a team and as a club we sorted it really well and gave the manager a great send off. We got over it in the course of those few weeks and I am away with England now so i will look forward to these two games.

"I'm not really thinking about (Everton) until we report back in July and hopefully by then we will have a manager sorted and we will see where it takes us from there."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre