Jol will move quickly to strengthen Fulham squad
New Fulham manager Martin Jol cannot wait for the chance to have another crack at the Barclays Premier League and will waste no time in adding to his squad at Craven Cottage.
The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss has agreed an initial two-year contract with the option of a further 12 months and replaces Mark Hughes, who resigned last Thursday after just one season at the helm.
Jol saw his hopes of taking charge of Fulham following Roy Hodgson's departure a year ago blocked by Ajax, but having left the Dutch club in December, he is relishing a second opportunity in the English top flight.
“I am very happy to be back and especially at a club like Fulham,” Jol said.
“I remember coming here with Tottenham and I even think I played here.
“Craven Cottage is a real football stadium — I loved going to Fulham. I could have gone to other countries, but I was waiting for the opportunity to come back to England,” he added.
Jol will already have an idea about some of the players he has inherited, but also revealed he had started looking at bringing in players in what will be a shortened summer break ahead of the Europa League qualifiers which start at the end of the month.
“There are a few players here I still know from my time at Tottenham, like Simon Davies, Danny Murphy and Stephen Kelly, all very good professionals,” the former West Brom and Coventry midfielder added.
“I enjoy watching Fulham and I enjoy watching players like Moussa Dembele,” he said.
Fulham had been linked with a £10million move for Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, and chairman Mohamed Al Fayed would appear ready to back his new manager.
Jol, though, could face a battle to keep forward Clint Dempsey, with the American suggesting he was now eager for a taste of Champions League football, while out-of-contract midfielder Zoltan Gera has indicated he may return to former club West Brom.