Jonathan Benteke facing up to four months out with serious knee injury
Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew has revealed striker Jonathan Benteke could be out for up to four months with a knee injury which requires surgery.
The 21-year-old, younger brother of fellow Eagles' front man Christian Benteke, joined Palace on a free transfer in the summer but now faces a spell on the sidelines after suffering the injury in training.
Formerly of Belgian outfit Zulte-Waregem, Jonathan followed his sibling into Selhurst Park and made his debut in the 2-1 win at Middlesbrough earlier in September.
Pardew said after his Riverside cameo that he saw the younger Benteke as one for the future and, even before his injury setback, it was unlikely he would have been involved in the squad which travels to face Everton in the Premier League on Friday night.
"We have had a serious knee injury this week to Jonathan Benteke which is going to keep out of action for around three or four months," said Pardew.
"In training his knee locked when he was doing a finishing drill and he unfortunately needs an operation. It's a shame for him and us but the group that travelled last week will go up to Everton plus the addition of (Wilfried) Zaha."
Winger Zaha is fit having missed last weekend's last-gasp win at Sunderland with a slight hamstring strain and he could be back in the Palace side for the game at Goodison Park.
Palace will come up against former favourite Yannick Bolasie, who moved to Everton in the summer for a reported £25million, and Pardew says the Democratic Republic of Congo international has nothing to prove as he prepares to line up against his old club.
"I love Yala," he said.
"I just hope he is not going to have one of his super games that he is capable of, but of course he will be looking to impress.
"He has nothing to prove to us or our fans, they still love him although I don't think they are particularly happy that they (Everton fans) have the song, but that type of thing goes with a club signing big players."