Belfast Telegraph

Klopp not interested in United post

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has ruled himself out of contention to become the next manager of Manchester United, and insists he has not been approached for the job either.

Klopp had emerged as a leading candidate to replace David Moyes, who was sacked earlier this week, but at Thursday's press conference to preview Dortmund's Bundesliga clash with Bayer Leverkusen this weekend he was quick to nip speculation in the bud.

"I find it a little uncomfortable having to turn somebody down without them even making an enquiry," said the 46-year-old. "But it seems like I have got to do it anyway.

"There are about 1000 reasons why I am so happy to be working at this club."

Klopp signed a contract extension with Dortmund until 2018 last October and, despite saying he finds the Red Devils "a really great club", he is not tempted to leave Westphalia to work in the Barclays Premier League.

The charismatic coach had already ruled himself out of taking over at Barcelona next season and said "nobody has to have any concerns" about him breaking his deal with Dortmund.

"I'm still really happy here," he said.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph