Kuyt on comeback trail
Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt is pushing to face Chelsea on Sunday after three weeks on the sidelines.
The 30-year-old has made a quicker than expected recovery from ankle ligament damage and will resume full training on Friday. Kuyt was injured on international duty with Holland last month and it was initially feared he could be out for a lengthy period.
Working as a TV pundit at the Reds' Europa League clash against Napoli, Kuyt told Five: "I have worked really hard with the medical team. I am quite happy with them because I have recovered quickly. I have trained really hard and am ready to start team training."
When asked about this weekend's Barclays Premier League clash against Chelsea at Anfield, he added: "It depends on how the next couple of days go. Hopefully the team training will be okay and at the end of the day it will be up to the manager."
Liverpool have endured a difficult start to the season, collecting just six points from their opening eight league games under new manager Roy Hodgson. That period was also overshadowed by an acrimonious takeover saga but, with that issue now resolved and the last two games won, Kuyt is optimistic.
He said: "It is always difficult when things change but in football these days, these things happen. You just have to cope with it.
"It is always easy, when things aren't going the way you want them to, to look for excuses but those things are behind us now. It is very positive we have the new owners and it is very positive we have won the last two (league) games."
Kuyt has also given his full backing to under-pressure boss Hodgson.
"We could all see last year how good a job the manager did at Fulham," said Kuyt, whose car was damaged by a police horse on arrival at Anfield on Thursday night.
"We are working really hard to reach the same thing as he did at Fulham. I think it is going well, every week it is going better. I think the team is getting more used to each other. We also have a few new players, so the future is bright."