Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 2 October 2014

Lescott completes Manchester City move

Joleon Lescott has finally completed his move to from Everton to Manchester City.

The 27-year-old defender signed a five-year deal with the Eastlands outfit last night.

Lescott completed his medical and agreed personal terms yesterday after City had a bid, reportedly worth £22million, accepted by Everton on Sunday but there was a brief delay to the England star's transfer going through as a minor wrangle was resolved.

Confirmation of the transfer takes Mark Hughes' summer spending beyond £120million.

Lescott is now expected to be officially unveiled tomorrow and could make his debut in Sunday's Premier League encounter with Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

City boss Mark Hughes told the club's official website www.mcfc.co.uk: "I am absolutely delighted to welcome Joleon to Manchester City. He is an England international who has proved his Premier League ability during his time at Everton.

"In bringing Joleon to the club I feel we have recruited a defender of the very highest quality. He can play in a number of defensive positions, and I'm positive he will make a significant impact for us."

Lescott is the eighth new signing Mark Hughes has made this summer and is regarded as the long-term central defensive partner for Kolo Toure.

And news of the former Wolves man's arrival at Eastlands has brought an immediate claim that City have accepted a £6million bid from Aston Villa for Richard Dunne.

The Blues have yet to confirm that development. However, it would be no surprise if Dunne was to leave given he is unlikely to be satisfied with life as a substitute, particularly as Hughes offered Nedum Onuoha a long-term contract last month.

Lescott said: "I'm over the moon to get the move completed, and I'm looking forward to training with the lads as I've not trained for a few days.

"I know some of the lads already - I'm close friends with Shaun (Wright-Phillips), we've played against each other since we were 16 or 17. The way this club is moving on, I'm really looking forward to being a part of that."

Lescott will be unveiled to the media at a City of Manchester Stadium conference at 11am tomorrow.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre