Levy hits back at West Brom after failed Tottenham bids for Saido Berahino
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has hit back at West Brom after his counterpart Jeremy Peace said Saido Berahino was "unsettled" by interest from White Hart Lane.
It is understood the Baggies are unhappy with Spurs' approach to the deal, which only strengthened their resolve to keep Berahino, who scored 20 goals last term.
West Brom instantly rejected Tottenham's two bids on Tuesday which were believed to only be marginally better than the north London club's second offer, made last month, which would have only risen to £21million with clauses and add-ons.
Peace said on Wednesday: "Tottenham's offers failed substantially to reflect Saido's true value while the timing made no allowance for our own recruitment of a suitable replacement for a proven Premier League goalscorer.
"Saido has been unsettled to the point where our head coach has not felt able to select him for our last three games. We are now left with the task of repairing the damage created by this unfortunate episode."
It sparked a response from Levy. Without naming West Brom as the target of his frustration, Levy forcefully defended Tottenham's approach in the transfer market.
He also said it was wrong for clubs to make public the news of players requesting transfers, as West Brom did in the case of Berahino last week.
Levy said: "We have never, as a club, spoken about another team's players and I am not about to do so now. However, I do want to make a few general points regarding transfers.
"Firstly, there is hardly a transfer concluded across Europe which doesn't include staged payments. This is particularly so when significant amounts such as £20m-£30m are involved - players don't come cheaply these days.
"Secondly, we do not make anything personal. None of the proposals, discussions or negotiations we undertake involve any personal elements or ego - everything we do is in the interest of what is best for our club.
"Thirdly, we never make anything public, particularly in the best interests of the players involved. Making aspects such as transfer requests public is wholly disrespectful to a player."
Players' union chief Gordon Taylor has advised Berahino against carrying out his strike threat at West Brom.
The Professional Footballers' Association has offered its help to the Baggies and Berahino following the striker's suggestion on Twitter he was prepared to down tools after Albion blocked a move to Tottenham on Tuesday.
Peace rejected four bids in all from Spurs, including the two on deadline day.
Berahino's Twitter message read: "Sad how i cant say exactly how the club has treated me but i can officially say i will never play Jeremy Peace."
The player has been given until Monday off as West Brom look to take the sting out of the situation but it is understood he will be disciplined.
The 22-year-old is expected to hold talks with head coach Tony Pulis on his return and Taylor, chief executive of the PFA, wants the matter resolved without any further issues.
"Players know if they come to the end of a contract they have that right to move but if it's during a contract there are other factors involved and it can't be taken for granted. It's always better for players to be playing," Taylor told Press Association Sport.
"Things can be said in the heat of the moment and contracts work both ways but players need to play and keep fit.
"Young men are young men and sometimes things are said which are regretted.
"We're in a world of social media and a lot of our young players are expected to have old heads on young shoulders and sometimes can let off steam.
"People get disappointed and sometimes things are done that, on reflection, wouldn't be out in the public domain and we're hoping that situation will be understood."
Taylor believes Berahino can be reintegrated into the Albion squad after being left out for their last three matches by Pulis.
He said: "I hope so, sometimes that's not always possible but for the most part it is."