Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp taking no risks with Daniel Sturridge

Published 28/12/2015

Daniel Sturridge will not be rushed back by Liverpool
Daniel Sturridge will not be rushed back by Liverpool

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will not rush Daniel Sturridge back from injury despite the striker stating he is ready to play.

Sturridge missed the bulk of last season with thigh and calf injuries which ultimately led to a hip operation and was then sidelined by a knee injury just before Klopp took over in October.

The 26-year-old then made three appearances under the German before he suffered a hamstring problem but suggested on Boxing Day he was ready for a first appearance since December 6 when he tweeted: "I'm back training and good to go!!"

Klopp, however, is refusing to take any risks with the England international and told several national newspapers: "This is absolutely the same thing that Daniel said four weeks ago, and we let him play and he was injured again.

"You ask him and he says he's good. I know he is good, but he has to train. We cannot change the situation, he has to train now.

"Last week and this week are the most intensive weeks in training for Daniel Sturridge in the last three years. So now you can see what we have to do. We cannot say, 'Come on Daniel, now you look good so you can play'.

"I don't want to see him in training because everybody sees him training and they think, 'Oh, come on, bring him into the team, we need his quality'.

"No. We really, really have to be patient now. We have to wait. We have to train. We have to give the body the right information, and if he can do this, then maybe we can change something.

"Otherwise we always have to stay here in this situation for the next 10 years and always talk about, 'Where is Daniel Sturridge, can you play him?'.

"We have to try and change something. We have tried everything else, so we must try this now."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph