Liverpool are 'too small' for Suarez
The man who brought Luis Suarez to Liverpool now says the Anfield club are too small for him.
Damien Comolli, Liverpool’s former director of football, said Suarez wanting to join rival Premier League club Arsenal is understandable.
Manager Brendan Rodgers said last week that Suarez going to the Gunners — who have had two bids for the Uruguayan rejected already — would be a “sideways” move.
But Comolli says Suarez leaving Anfield is inevitable because Liverpool simply cannot match the striker’s ambition.
“When I was there, we knew it would be hard to keep players like (Jose) Reina, (Daniel) Agger, Luis (Suarez) if we couldn’t get into the Champions League,” he said. “Luis is extremely ambitious and with all due respect to Liverpool, they’re a top eight side, not top four like Arsenal.”
Suarez played in Steven Gerrard’s testimonial against Olympiakos on Saturday, and was given a welcoming reception by the Liverpool fans, contrary to some pre-match expectations.
The striker was a second half substitute, coming on with Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.
Speaking after his testimonial, Gerrard spoke about how Liverpool have to wait and see where the future of Suarez lies.
“We’ve got some wonderful youngsters coming through and I think everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that we can keep important players at the club,” said Gerrard.
Comolli masterminded the £22.5m deal that took Suarez from Ajax to Liverpool, then managed by Kop idol Kenny Dalglish, in January 2011.
He also insisted on the £40m contract clause which Arsenal are now hoping to exploit.
Gunners manager Arsene Wenger refused to be drawn further on the protracted transfer saga after watching former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba return to haunt his side with a second-half double to win the Emirates Cup for Galatasaray.
The Ivory Coast front man converted a soft penalty on 78 minutes before then producing a crisp finish as the Turks secured their second victory of the weekend tournament, having fallen behind to Theo Walcott's first-half curling effort.
Barcelona director Andoni Zubizarreta, meanwhile, has claimed that Manchester United are set to give up on their attempts to sign midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
With Barcelona adamant that the 26-year-old is not for sale at any price, United appear to have conceded defeat in their pursuit of the Spain international.
“We count on Cesc, we're delighted to have him,” said Zubizarreta. “United said they understand our position and won't try any longer.”
With a move for Fabregas now seemingly off the cards, new United boss David Moyes could turn his attention to Everton's Marouane Fellaini, with the Scot|mulling over a double swoop for the Belgian and left-back Leighton Baines. Rumours are also circulating that Bayern Munich’s Bastian Schweinsteiger could be the subject of a surprise United bid.
Belfast Telegraph Digital