Liverpool deserved better from Luis Suarez: John Aldridge
Published 26/07/2013 | 01:30
Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has accused Luis Suarez of a "massive lack of loyalty" by his desire to leave the club.
Suarez is expected to hand in a formal transfer request to Liverpool, according to reports in his home country Uruguay, after Arsenal had a bid of £40million plus £1 for the striker rejected.
Aldridge, who scored 63 goals in 104 games for Liverpool, said Suarez owed a debt of gratitude to the club for sticking by him after his racism and biting controversies.
"There's a massive lack of loyalty there and especially the way Liverpool have stuck by Luis. Not everything's all about money," he said.
"It's different with Luis Suarez because of the positions he's put Liverpool in over the last couple of years and they've stuck by him.
"The fans have been loyal, the manager's been loyal, his comrades have been loyal, and the hierarchy have been loyal to him.
"They've done everything in the powers possible to back him up and he's basically put a custard pie in everyone's face."
The Uruguay international is serving a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and previously was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.
Arsenal's bid met the requirements of a clause in Suarez's contract which said the club had to inform the player if an offer of more than £40million was made.
Suarez and his representatives may yet argue that are now in a position to negotiate with the Gunners but Liverpool will try to reject that claim.
However, Suarez's agent Pere Guardiola told the club this month the player wants to play Champions League football and Liverpool's prospects of holding onto the 26-year-old appear slim.
Rodgers and managing director Ian Ayre were to hold further discussions with Suarez as the tour moved to Thailand today ahead of their third and final match of the trip in Bangkok on Sunday.
* Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran has reportedly told the French press that they have accepted a £8.6million offer from Premier League newcomers Cardiff City for Etienne Capoue.
Sadran is quoted as telling L'Equipe that other clubs will have to match the bid from Cardiff to stand any chance of winning the race for his signature.
Midfielder Capoue has been linked with a move to English football for some time and Queens Park Rangers are rumoured to have had an offer for him rejected in January.
Sadran recently admitted that he would be prepared to let the 25-year-old leave for the right price.