Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Liverpool reject City bid of £25m for unhappy Raheem Sterling

By Paul Hirst

Published 12/06/2015

Wanted man: Liverpool have turned down a £25m offer from Manchester City for England forward Raheem Sterling
Wanted man: Liverpool have turned down a £25m offer from Manchester City for England forward Raheem Sterling

Liverpool have rejected a £25 million bid from Manchester City for winger Raheem Sterling.

City have made their first move to net the England international but Liverpool value the player at £50 million and a source said they "will not consider selling for less than that sum".

Sterling has also been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United this summer but City made their move earlier this week, offering a guaranteed £25 million, plus £5 million in potential future payments.

The 20-year-old has two years left on his contract and has turned down a chance to sign a new deal, rejecting a £100,000-a-week offer in January.

His agent has already confirmed the winger will not sign a new contract.

Manager Brendan Rodgers does not want to lose Sterling but former Liverpool striker Michael Owen feels the club would not suffer from selling the winger because a player of similar quality could be bought with the proceeds.

"Put it this way: a year ago they lost (Luis) Suarez and he's irreplaceable," said Owen.

"You cannot replace someone that good. If Liverpool lose Sterling, they can replace him with the money you get.

"He's a very good player with lots of potential, but you can replace him.

"If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd obviously be wanting an answer (as to whether Sterling will stay or go) but I wouldn't be losing sleep if he did leave and you got a fair old chunk of money for him."

Sterling is currently with the England squad preparing for a crucial Euro 2016 qualifier against Slovenia on Sunday.

Goalkeeper Joe Hart, who could be a team-mate of Sterling's next season, is now relishing being on the pitch when Wayne Rooney becomes the team's record goalscorer.

Rooney is just two short of World Cup winner Sir Bobby Charlton's haul of 49 goals for England.

The Euro 2016 qualifier is one England are particularly eager to win, to nudge closer to next year's finals in France.

And Rooney, the captain of England, will again have a key role to play, as will goalkeeper Hart.

With the record tantalisingly close for Rooney, Hart said: "Wayne will get there, we all know that. He's our captain, he's our leader, he's our talisman.

"I'm looking forward to hopefully being in the team when Wayne makes history.

"But right now he's all about the team. I'm sure he'd take not scoring for the next five games if we won the games.

"But if we win, generally he scores."

Hart said England were satisfied with the stalemate against the Republic but admitted it was not a great spectacle.

He said: "We can take everything we can out of the game. Obviously it didn't get too much love in terms of being a thriller.

"But I think Ireland probably got what they wanted out of it and we got what we wanted. It'll definitely be seen as a good move if we get a good result on Sunday."

Slovenia vs England - Group E: Stadion Stožice, Sunday 5.00 pm

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph