Liverpool v Bournemouth to go ahead after Anfield security alert ends
Liverpool's Capital One Cup fourth-round fixture with Bournemouth will go ahead as planned on Wednesday after Anfield was cleared to reopen following an evacuation.
The club reported a man had gone missing from a tour group that was visiting Anfield, which led to a police operation at the stadium from mid-afternoon until late evening.
But after a search, both Merseyside Police and the football club said they were confident the stadium was secure.
"Anfield Stadium is now fully reopened, following a precautionary evacuation earlier this afternoon," said a club spokesman.
Liverpool's statement added: "During the incident the club's priority at all times was the safety and well-being of everyone involved. We can confirm the emergency services were called and we would like to thank them for their thorough response.
"Also, we acknowledge the patience of those impacted by the temporary closure, which allowed this matter to be dealt with in an appropriate and responsible manner."
Police said the man Liverpool believed was missing was not found inside the stadium, and said in a statement: "Merseyside Police can confirm a search of Anfield stadium has been completed following security concerns raised earlier.
"Officers and the club are satisfied that there are no people unaccounted for inside the ground and that the stadium is secure."
Anfield was evacuated after Liverpool called police to investigate the suspected disappearance of a man who had been unaccounted for since approximately 1.30pm.
Photos were posted on social media and in local news reports which appeared to show both club staff and tourists standing outside of the famous ground, the gates of which were being manned by police.
An eyewitness who did not want to be named told Press Association Sport that alarms had sounded at around 3.30pm. Five police vehicles could be seen parked at the stadium, where the nearby streets were quiet, and a sniffer dog was also present.
It had previously been reported that two men, not one, were missing inside the stadium, but as the search was under way Merseyside Police released a statement which explained they were seeking only a single individual.
There remains no official comment on the status of Wednesday evening's fixture, scheduled to kick off at Anfield at 7.45pm, but it is understood the club do not consider it to have in any way been affected and that it will therefore go ahead as previously planned.
Belfast Telegraph Digital