Manager hunt could be over for Liverpool
Liverpool's hunt for a new manager could be over after it emerged that Roberto Martinez was set to announce his future plans on Tuesday.
Press Association Sport understands Wigan will hold a press conference this week in which Martinez is expected to announce whether or not he will stay. The 38-year-old met Liverpool's owners in Miami on Thursday to discuss the managerial vacancy and was apparently not put off by the huge challenge that would face any new manager.
However, it is understood Martinez has not made up his mind completely whether to accept that challenge and has given himself until Tuesday to do so. Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed on Friday the Spaniard had received an offer from Liverpool's principal owner John Henry after their meeting.
Doubts emerged over Whelan's interpretation of the situation, with the Reds refusing to comment amid the general belief no formal offer had been made.
Martinez's appointment would doubtless divide opinion among Liverpool supporters, some of whom may have been expecting a bigger name to be recruited to replace the sacked Kenny Dalglish.
But captain Steven Gerrard has already pledged his full support to Martinez should he get the job. Gerrard, preparing for Saturday night's England friendly against Norway, was a big supporter of Dalglish but cautiously welcomed the idea of Martinez taking charge.
"We'll have to wait and see," said the midfielder. "My focus has been on the game. I'm aware Roberto Martinez has been talking to the club but all I've heard about him is positive. If he is going to be the manager, he's got my full support."
Throughout the process, Whelan has insisted it was not a foregone conclusion he would lose his manager to the club's north west rivals, claiming there were still some issues - mainly surrounding working under a technical director - to be overcome before Martinez would even be in a position to accept.
"He went to Miami and had a very constructive meeting with the owner of Liverpool," the Latics chairman told Sky Sports News. "They're going to talk again on Tuesday. They've made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.
"He's said, 'What are my responsibilities?' These are American owners and the rules and regulations are a bit different from what we English set down. Roberto is a seven-days-a-week, 12-hours-a-day worker and I don't know whether they realise how hard he works."