Manchester City's Vincent Kompany on Paris Attacks: I didn't sleep for three days, I was shocked
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has revealed he did not sleep for three days following the Paris terror attacks, but believes life will return to normal in his Belgium homeland.
On Sunday night, Belgian police carried out a series of raids that the government said were linked to a possible imminent attack like those in Paris on November 13, which killed 130 people.
At least one Belgian fugitive, Salah Abdeslam, is on the run while another Belgian man, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who was suspected of orchestrating the attacks by Islamic extremists, was killed in a police raid north of Paris.
Kompany, currently sidelined by a calf injury, revealed in an interview with CNN how he had been affected by the events.
"It's very upsetting. You know, I didn't sleep for three days after probably the attacks, but as well as information came through that it was related to my city," he told the broadcaster.
"Now, for me, it was hurtful. I love my city. I love the people. Like most of the people, I think I was shocked."
Belgian authorities have now lowered their terror threat alert to the second-highest level in the capital Brussels, having seen shops, schools and the underground shut over the weekend.
Kompany was born in the Uccle district of the city, and started his career at Anderlecht.
The 29-year-old is confident Brussels will come through a difficult chapter.
"Brussels will always be this city of diversity, of wealth of culture, and I encourage everyone to speak and say how much they love the city, and to just now start the positive talking," he added.
Belfast Telegraph Digital