Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Manchester United: Ferguson to get cash to splash on a big name

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been given the go-ahead to strengthen his squad with a player of “very high quality”.

Ferguson insists he is pleased with his additions — defender Chris Smalling and striker Javier Hernandez.

However Smalling has limited top-flight experience with Fulham while Hernandez has none at all after arriving from Guadalajara, and chief executive David Gill insists cash is available for Ferguson to enter the transfer market again before the window closes.

“The money is there if we believe there is a player who can improve what we believe is a very good squad,” Gill said.

“The team has been together for a number of years and done very well. In order to improve it a player has to be of a very high quality.

“That's not to say something won't happen, but I think it is a ‘might', not a ‘will'.”

Hernandez is set to make his bow tomorrow against the MLS All-Stars at the Reliant Stadium after linking up with the squad.

He was given time off after the World Cup in South Africa, where he scored two goals for Mexico.

Meanwhile, Paul Scholes accepts that playing two or three games a week for United is now out of the question.

Along with Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville — who has stayed at home because of a calf injury — 35-year-old Scholes concedes they are given more rest now.

He said: “I know playing two or three times a week it is not going to happen any more. So you just have to be ready when needed.

“It is accepted, definitely, given there are that many games and at our age we have to be ready when the manager needs us.

“You train every day and I did not miss a day's training last season, which was good. I managed to avoid injury.

“When you are at a club like this you have to be capable of doing that, especially like last season when we had that many injuries.”

United had to be content with the League Cup last year and Scholes reflected on a spell in December when a number of defenders were sidelined at the same time.

He said: “We didn't win what we wanted to but were not that far off. You do not want to use excuses but the injuries we had were shocking really. Hopefully most of us can stay fit this year and hopefully we can go one step further than we did last season.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre