Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

Barcelona tell Manchester United that Fabregas transfer 'is totally ruled out'

Manchester United want to sign Cesc Fabregas
Manchester United want to sign Cesc Fabregas

Barcelona have put the brakes on Manchester United’s move for Cesc Fabregas after vice-president Josep Bartomeu claimed that the move will not happen under any circumstances.

 

David Moyes had said earlier today that United’s chief executive Ed Woodward is dealing with the clubs transfer plans, and that he will hope to know more in the next few days.

But Barcelona have acted quickly to dismiss any speculation that Fabregas could leave the Nou Camp ahead of the new season.

Speaking to Spanish daily newspaper Sport, Bartomeu said: “Barcelona can assure [fans] we won’t listen to any offers for Cesc (Fabregas). It is totally ruled out, he's not for sale.”

The message is a warning to United, who have already lodged a £26m bid for Fabregas, and the news will not be taken well by fans, who are quickly becoming frustrated with the club’s lack of movement in the transfer market.

Moyes had said: “The chief exec has been dealing with it just now and I am in contact with him.

“I'll hopefully know a little more in the next day or so. I may have a bit more information in the next day or so about how it's going.

“As far as players we’re looking to bring in, we're trying very hard to make some additions to the squad.

“Hopefully there'll be some good news in the not too distant future.”

The move had seemed unlikely from the start, with Fabregas expressing his desire to stay with the La Liga champions, though United feel they can tempt the former Arsenal captain away with the promise of regular first-team football – something he has struggled to get with Andres Iniesta and Xavi in the side.

Arsenal also have a clause in his contract that allows them to discuss a move with the player if they make a £25m bid, though they have failed to show significant interest in him so far this summer.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre