Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Marouane Fellaini is ready to cure Man United's striker misery

By Paul Hirst

Published 26/08/2015

At the double: Marouane Fellaini and Louis van Gaal look ahead to the Champions League play-off second leg against Brugge
At the double: Marouane Fellaini and Louis van Gaal look ahead to the Champions League play-off second leg against Brugge

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has revealed that he intends to use Marouane Fellaini as a striker this season.

United may have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the campaign, but their form in front of goal has been far from successful to date.

They have scored just twice in three league matches - and one of those was an own goal by Tottenham's Kyle Walker. Wayne Rooney, who has failed to score in 10 games, and Javier Hernandez are yet to open their accounts this term while James Wilson is yet to feature in the first team.

Despite being linked with a number of targets, Van Gaal insists he does not need to sign a striker before the transfer window shuts on Tuesday.

That can in part be explained by his plan for Fellaini, which was revealed on the eve of the second leg of United's Champions League play-off against Club Brugge.

"He can play in a nine position and a 10," Van Gaal said.

"He can also play at six and eight, but this year he shall play more at nine and 10 because we have other players there."

Fellaini's height and strength make him ideal for the role of lone frontman, but he only scored seven goals last season - half the total of top scorer Rooney.

The Belgian scored a key stoppage-time header to give United a 3-1 advantage over Brugge last week, however, and is keen to play up front if his manager believes that is the best place for him.

"In the past I have played number 10 and number nine sometimes so I can play there and help my team-mates and my team," Fellaini said.

"It is different to play midfield and striker but I enjoy all the positions I can play."

Fellaini became something of a scapegoat for the failed reign of David Moyes, and it was anticipated he would be sold by Van Gaal when he replaced the Scot last summer.

But Van Gaal kept faith with the 6ft 4in midfielder and his form was key to the turnaround in the club's fortunes last winter.

The £27.5million signing is glad to have put his dark days at Old Trafford behind him.

"Everyone knows my first season was difficult but it is the past," Fellaini said.

"Now I'm looking forward. Last year I did quite well. I want to continue like that.

"I know my team-mates and the manager. I am just looking forward to doing well and scoring some goals."

Had Fellaini not converted Memphis Depay's cross in stoppage time at Old Trafford last Tuesday, United would be sitting on a one-goal lead going into tonight's second leg.

Van Gaal's team are odds-on favourites to progress to the group stages, but the 64-year-old has told his squad they must not think the tie is already over.

The fact that Brugge overturned a deficit to defeat Panathinaikos 4-2 on aggregate in the last round should be treated as a warning, according to the United coach.

"They won against their Greek opponent 3-0 so they are capable of doing that with the support of the fans," Van Gaal said.

"I don't think my players shall take it easy."

Van Gaal being who he is, qualifying for the group stages is the bare minimum he expects.

During the pre-match press conference, the Dutchman spoke with pride about winning the Champions League with Ajax 20 years ago.

That year Van Gaal deployed teenagers like Patrick Kluivert and Clarence Seedorf alongside seasoned professionals like Danny Blind and Frank Rijkaard to devastating effect.

Ajax upset the odds to beat AC Milan in the final, and this year Van Gaal thinks he has a squad of a similar blend.

"Yes, I believe in that. I believe more in the mix than players only from 27 to 34," he said.

"We won the final with 18 and 19-year-olds but also with players like (Michael) Carrick and (Bastian) Schweinsteiger."

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph