Mancini resigned to not splashing Manchester City cash
Published 04/07/2011 | 00:00
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has acknowledged for the first time that Uefa's Financial Fair Play directive is impacting on his club's transfer market business this summer — a marked change in personal perspective which had seemed for weeks to be at odds with his club's desire to rein in spending.
Ahead of a week in which loaned players the club badly needs off its payroll — including Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge — are due back at Carrington, Mancini said “financial fair play is for everyone” and that City would therefore not “do what everyone thinks we will and pay 10 million more than other clubs” for players.
The Italian also seemed to imply, however, that City were ready to challenge Tottenham for Villarreal's Giuseppe Rossi.
“For now, we have not [made contact.]” he said.
Mancini, who suggested on May 20 that City could “spend the money” this summer before FFP kicked in, appears to have been persuaded of the realities of the new financial landscape by his chief executive Garry Cook, who knows better than any at City that the 2011-12 season brings the start of the three-year monitoring period of FFP, during which clubs may post no more than £45 million losses.
Extra commercial income will also help the long job of driving down City's £121m losses.
A stadium naming rights deal had not, as of yesterday, been signed but such an agreement is a vital part of the commercial landscape up ahead, with overall losses likely to exceed the £121m figure in October as City account for the £96.6m net expenditure plus wages of Jerome Boateng, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Aleksandar Kolarov, Mario Balotelli and James Milner, who arrived too late to be factored into last year's published results.