Belfast Telegraph

Monday 21 April 2014

Martinez praise for Moses

Roberto Martinez praised Victor Moses, right, for his performance against Chelsea on Sunday

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez praised Victor Moses for his display against the team who have courted him all summer but so far failed to match their asking price.

The Latics have refused to budge over the fee they are demanding for Moses despite frequent interest from Chelsea.

Martinez said: "We haven't had an offer that matches his valuation so we haven't had to make a decision. Victor knows that if (a club) doesn't want a player enough, it's not a good move. I'm delighted Victor's here, I'm delighted he showed he's desperate to perform for our team."

The winger's efforts were not enough to prevent Chelsea opening the season with a 2-0 victory at the DW Stadium, but he caused problems all afternoon and showed why the Blues are keen to take him to Stamford Bridge.

Martinez admitted it was a risk to play the 21-year-old and again hit out at the transfer rules that allow transactions to take place until the end of August.

He said: "You could go through every dressing room in the country and you'll always get one or two players who don't know where their future lies.

"I don't understand why we put our players in this situation. The transfer window is a fantastic part of our game, but it should close before the official games start. I think it's disrespectful to the fans and very unfair on the human part of the footballers.

"In the last 10 days Victor has got himself focused and he wanted to help the team. His performance showed that, but it's unfair to ask any player to cope with that mental pressure."

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre