Belfast Telegraph

Moreno excited by Reds switch

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has made Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno his eighth signing of the summer.

Moreno completed formalities at the club's Melwood training ground on Saturday although he was not registered in time to figure in his new side's Barclays Premier League opener against Southampton on Sunday.

Moreno has been a Reds target for some time and was pulled from Sevilla's UEFA Super Cup clash with Real Madrid in Cardiff last week when the extent of Rodgers' interest became apparent.

The 22-year-old, who came through the youth ranks at Sevilla, was in tears as he waved farewell to the club's fans on the pitch at the Cardiff City Stadium at the final whistle.

Moreno told Liverpoolfc.com: "In my view, Liverpool are the best club in England and I couldn't waste an opportunity to come and play for them.

"I spoke with Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina and Alvaro Arbeloa and they told me this is a spectacular club, whose fans follow it in a very special way.

"They all told me I can grow a lot here as a footballer as this is a massive club. I'm very happy to be joining a club as big as Liverpool. I hope to give my best and do all I can to help."

Moreno has enjoyed a swift rise through the ranks after only making his debut in the Sevilla first team in April 2012.

He earned his first international cap for Spain last October and narrowly missed out on a place in Vicente Del Bosque's ill-fated World Cup squad in Brazil.

The fee for Moreno was undisclosed but it is clear Rodgers has now more than reinvested the £75million earned from the summer departure of Luis Suarez.

Southampton trio Ricky Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren are among the other new boys Rodgers hopes will play an integral part in repeating last season's Premier League title push.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph