Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 24 July 2014

Moyes declines to discuss Bale

Gareth Bale completed his move to Real Madrid at the end of last month

David Moyes refused to confirm or deny if Manchester United had launched a bid to sign Gareth Bale.

Reports in France claim United offered Tottenham close to 150million euros (£125million) for the winger, who joined Real Madrid for 100million euros.

Speaking after his side's 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace, Moyes told BT Sport that now the transfer window had shut he would not be commenting on such a matter.

However he added: "I have said many times we are always bidding for the best players."

Speaking on Friday, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said: "I know that Tottenham received a higher bid for Gareth Bale than the one from Real Madrid."

And French newspaper L'Equipe claimed that bid came from Manchester United, but Bale personally insisted on joining Real Madrid.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk