Moyes defends derby picks
Everton boss David Moyes has no regrets over his controversial team selection for the Merseyside derby loss to Liverpool.
The Toffees were beaten 3-0 at Anfield on Tuesday after Moyes, with an eye on Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final against Sunderland, made six changes to the side which beat Tottenham last week.
That prompted criticism from some fans but Moyes, who celebrated the 10th anniversary of his appointment this week, said: "It has been an important week. It was always going to be tough and that has proved to be the case."
He added: "We have got a lot of players here and a good squad when they are fit. We chose to use them and give a few of them a game. We want them all to be fit and ready for the run-in, and obviously for the game tomorrow."
When asked if he had any regrets, Moyes said: "None whatsoever."
The Liverpool loss halted Everton's momentum after a nine-game unbeaten run.
But Moyes said: "We have now moved on and are looking forward to the Sunderland game. It is a big game for us. We didn't win in midweek but our performances prior to that were good and results were good. We will keep doing what we are doing."
The tie is Everton's fourth in succession at home this season after defeats of Tamworth, Fulham and Blackpool in the previous rounds. With the game having been sold out for the past fortnight, Moyes is hoping to make the luck of the draw count once again.
He said: "You need a bit of luck in everything you do in football, and you need a bit of luck in the games. We need everybody to play their part - the support and the players.
"It could be a tight game. Sunderland have done really well away from home, except for one game recently at West Brom."