Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 31 August 2014

Moyes plays down transfer plans

David Moyes still wants to strengthen his squad in January

Manchester United boss David Moyes has played down expectations of a January transfer splurge.

After a tricky start to his tenure, Moyes has been assured by United's owners that cash will be made available to strengthen his squad.

The problem is top-class players are rarely available during the mid-season window.

It could be a struggle to sign two of the men United bid for in August, even though neither Leighton Baines nor Ander Herrera will be prevented from playing in European competition, as Everton and Athletic Bilbao will have their own targets to aim for.

So Moyes is cautious about building up fans' expectations.

"I'll look at January but I wouldn't want people to have big expectations of what we would sign or do," Moyes told reporters.

"In the main, January has not been a great month to sign at the top level.

"If you're in trouble near the bottom you might as you're desperate for something but we'll be looking for the top players."

Moyes does want to strengthen though.

It was anticipated he would make more reinforcements following his arrival beyond the single, significant capture of £27.5million Marouane Fellaini from Everton in the last minutes of the transfer window.

"Undoubtedly we will, in time, try and make the squad better - the job is to make progress at Manchester United," said Moyes.

"They won the league last year but I want to try and progress on that, try to win it again and try to win the cups if possible as well.

"We'll also look to add to the squad if the right players become available.

"We wanted to try and get one or two players in which, I said at the time, we wanted to buy players to come into the team if possible.

"That was the goal. We didn't need many more players, just one or two who could definitely help and effect on the first team."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre