Neville backs Rafael at right-back
Published 09/02/2011 | 10:02
Gary Neville is convinced his coveted right-back role at Manchester United is in safe hands.
Neville announced his retirement from the game last week after finally admitting defeat in his battle with injury. His decision was made easier by the knowledge young full-back Rafael now has the capability to hold down the job.
"You can now say we've got a first-choice back-four for the first time in a few years," Neville told www.manutd.com. "Rafael's always had ability. He gets to the ball quickly, he is aggressive, he defends his position well, he is tough, courageous, good on the ball, he gets forward well and provides energy in attack."
He added: "But he has really developed in the last six months with games and experience.
"He has also got a great attitude. He is more than capable of going on to become United's right-back for many years."
It takes Neville back to when he was a younger member of the United squad, making his own way forward in a dressing room containing the likes of Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel and Eric Cantona.
"I remember when I was young defender you need that time to mature and get experience," he said.
"We haven't had a consistent right-back in the last couple of years. I have been around. Wes Brown and John O'Shea have played some games as well as Rafael, but in the last four or five months we've had a consistent performer in that position."
Rafael is expected to keep his place for Saturday's eagerly-anticipated duel with Manchester City when, for once, Ferguson will not be sweating on the return of so many international stars.
Edwin van der Sar, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Michael Carrick, Patrice Evra, Dimitar Berbatov and Park Ji-sung offer a pretty solid backbone, in addition to Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans, one of whom will partner Nemanja Vidic in central defence.