Belfast Telegraph

Newcastle reject Reds' Carroll bid

Newcastle have rejected a £30million bid from Liverpool for striker Andy Carroll.

It is understood the Magpies have turned down the offer from Anfield, just as they did Tottenham's approach last week.

The Magpies have spent much of the transfer window insisting the 22-year-old is not for sale amid Tottenham's concerted pursuit, and now it remains to be seen if their resolve to hang on to their 11-goal hitman can be broken during the remaining hours of the transfer window.

Carroll might be seen as a replacement for Fernando Torres if the Spain international's wish for a transfer is granted, although Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish insists the club's position on the striker is unchanged.

The Reds rejected a transfer request from the Spain international on Friday night, reminding the player of his commitment to a long-term contract, having turned down a £35million bid from Chelsea the previous day.

"With regards to Fernando, it's the same as what the club statement was two or three days ago," said Dalglish. "We will stick to that and we won't be adding to that.

"Our supporters deserve to be told but I think our supporters deserve to be told definitive news rather than speculative stuff."

Dalglish said Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group were prepared to back him in the transfer window, highlighted by the £22.9million deal for Ajax forward Luis Suarez which is expected to finalised on Monday when all the paperwork is completed.

"We're going to look after ourselves first and foremost," said Dalglish of their transfer policy. "Is that not the same in any business? If someone's going to go you've got to have a replacement.

"There is as good a chance of us getting someone else in as there is someone going out." The owners have been fantastically supportive. There is money available if we want to bring someone else in."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph