Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Pardew hails Gunners-class Cabaye

Published 14/08/2015

Crystal Palace midfielder Yohan Cabaye almost joined Arsenal in August 2013.
Crystal Palace midfielder Yohan Cabaye almost joined Arsenal in August 2013.

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew believes Yohan Cabaye would have slotted straight into Arsenal's starting line-up if the midfielder had signed for the Gunners this summer.

Cabaye moved to Selhurst Park in July but was regularly linked with Arsenal and went close to joining the north London side two years ago.

The Frenchman refused to play for Newcastle in August 2013 as Arsenal looked to be closing in on the midfielder but the Magpies rejected a bid and the transfer never materialised.

Palace host Arsenal on Sunday and Cabaye is likely to start after scoring on his Eagles debut in a 3-1 win at Norwich last weekend.

"Two years ago Yohan wouldn't play (for Newcastle) at Manchester City because he thought he was going to Arsenal so it's quite ironic he's now here with us at Crystal Palace," Pardew said.

"He's a fantastic player, we're honoured to have him and he's definitely the level of Arsenal players.

"I don't think Arsene Wenger or anyone at Arsenal would disagree with that.

"We have a player who could definitely play in their team and that's a nice feeling for us."

Cabaye eventually left Newcastle for Paris St Germain in January 2014 but he struggled to establish himself in the first team at the Parc des Princes.

"He was just not getting on the pitch," Pardew said.

"He was actually playing quite well when he did get on the pitch but the competition was immense.

"He didn't really have a tough time there, he was just frustrated he didn't get enough first-team games."

Pardew added: "I think the lads here have taken him under their wing - they understand he is the benchmark for our playing staff."

Another player frustrated by a lack of first-team football is Palace striker Dwight Gayle, who is considering an offer from Bristol City after the Championship side had a bid accepted for the striker.

"Dwight last year was a little bit upset he wasn't involved in the first team and quite rightly, this is a guy who's got 20 goals in him," Pardew said.

"He came and saw me at the start of the season and expressed a view to move elsewhere.

"I'm in such a great position with the players I have, I said 'okay that's fine with me and we'll try to get you a club'.

"Now there is a club and there's a reluctance to go. The ball is firmly in Dwight's court. As far as I'm concerned, this is a player who is perhaps going to go."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph