Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is keeping his fingers crossed that Joe Kinnear delivers him new signings over the next week regardless of what happens with Yohan Cabaye.
The France international midfielder will not be involved in Wednesday night's Capital One Cup trip to Sky Bet League Two Morecambe as the Magpies await developments in Arsenal's pursuit of a man for whom they have already had a £10million offer rejected.
But whether or not the Gunners eventually come up with a figure to suit owner Mike Ashley - Newcastle's valuation is around double the only bid to date - Pardew is hoping his director of football will finally make a much-anticipated breakthrough with loan signing Loic Remy the only new face to have arrived on Tyneside since his appointment.
Kinnear insisted earlier this week that the management team at St James' Park had agreed before the season started that the squad was big enough and strong enough to finish in the top half of the Barclays Premier League table, but Pardew is desperate to add to it.
The manager said: "Even without the Cabaye situation, that's something we know we have to try to do. I think we have done a good bit of business with Loic Remy, I really do. From that point forward, it's a good start and we need to finish it off."
The Magpies have been trying to land a striker for much of the summer, but missed out on Darren Bent after stalling on a deal and have as yet been unable to push through a move for Lyon's Bafetimbi Gomis.
However, should Arsenal prise Cabaye from Pardew's grasp, there would be another sizeable gap to plug, and Newcastle have been linked with Wigan's Republic of Ireland international James McCarthy as a potential replacement.
Pardew, however, was giving nothing away as he contemplated the now traditional frenzied approach to the transfer deadline on Tyneside.
He said: "The transfer policy here is that we keep our news to ourselves if we are going to go and buy players, and we are going to try to stay on that course.
"But it's pretty obvious that we would like to get one or two over the line."
Pardew declined to confirm whether or not Cabaye had refused to play in the opening two games of the season in the wake of Arsenal's approach, and was unwilling to elaborate on a situation which has left disgruntled fans fearing the worst.
But ultimately, that particular decision will be made above his head and he was philosophical when asked about the possible consequences.
He said: "The answer isn't as simple as a 'yes' or a 'no'. The answer is here he is either going to be sold and we are going to have to replace him in the window that we have left, or he's going to stay.
"In both situations, I as the manager have to protect him and protect this football club more importantly, so the first thing on my agenda is the football club, trust me, and that will always come first while I am the manager here.
"It's an ongoing situation and like a lot of players in this transfer window, there are problems while it is open.
"I understand players' positions at times, and then there are other times I don't understand it. But the bottom line is with a world-class player, if they move on, it has to be world-class money."