Belfast Telegraph

Paulinho to leave Corinthians

Brazil midfielder Paulinho has announced he has played his final match for Corinthians, amid speculation he is set to join Tottenham.

The 24-year-old held a press conference on Monday, one day after lifting the Confederations Cup with his country, to confirm he is leaving the Sao Paulo club. Corinthians also said in a statement on their website that Spurs are set to pay 20 millions euros (£17m) to release the player from his current deal.

"It's hard to say anything at a moment like this, but I am sure those were three wonderful years in my career, with many titles and working with the right people, who always helped me," Paulinho told reporters.

"What I have to say to Corinthians is 'see you soon'. Pretty soon I'll be back, owing to everything you have done for me."

The statement from Corinthians thanked Paulinho for his contribution to the team, with the midfielder helping them win the Campeonato Brasileiro in 2011 and both the Copa Libertadores and the Club World Cup last year.

He scored 34 goals in 167 appearances for the club and was also instrumental in Brazil's 3-0 victory over Spain in the final of the Confederations Cup.

Spurs were unwilling to comment when contacted by Press Association Sport.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph