Belfast Telegraph

Pearson calms transfer fears

Nigel Pearson has eased fears over Leicester's transfer plans - despite the sacking of director of football Terry Robinson.

The Foxes acted this week after an 11 game winless run left them bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

Robinson has been replaced by academy director Jon Rudkin ahead of Saturday's vital trip to in-form West Ham.

Pearson is already hunting a goalkeeper after losing Kasper Schmeichel for at least six weeks with a broken foot but insisted he is not worried about the January window.

He said: "Whether it does or does not affect my transfer plans is irrelevant. We always work to get the outcomes we think is best for us and I remain very much a part it. We'll try and achieve the outcomes we're looking for.

"What happens internally at the club is important. There are certain questions that people have the right to know but I'm not the person to ask.

"I fully understand my sphere of influence in terms of my authority."

The decision to axe Robinson came from the club's Thai owners and Pearson was content with the call.

"You cast your mind back to when Terry joined us and I did not make a scene when there was a change then," he said.

"My job is to manage the football team and I will always do it to the best of my ability. When decisions are made from above they are made for the reasons that they are made for. I'm not in a position to discuss that."

Pearson will have a personal hearing with the Football Association on Friday after accepting the charge of allegedly using "abusive and/or insulting words towards a spectator".

He was involved in a row with a fan during their 3-1 defeat to Liverpool earlier this month and refused to apologise.

But the 51-year-old is eager to move on from the incident, whatever the outcome.

He said: "I think it is important for me to be there and be represented. I look forward to that option.

"It's important to make sure there is a rounded view of what has or hasn't happened.

"I've said it. I won't change that.

"I've accepted the charge and want to be there for a personal hearing. That's really where we're at at the moment.

"It's got legs because of what happened but I'm not going to extend this discussion too much further. I'm going to a hearing tomorrow because I want to.

"I've moved on from it but in the mean time I have to deal with the ongoing process."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph